Father Arcoleo became Our Holy Redeemer’s Tenth Pastor when he arrived in June 2008. He has brought a sense of joy in being part of this parish family. He is known for stating that Our Holy Redeemer Church is where “Coming Home is what it’s all about.” He was also responsible for the restarting of the OHR Waterfront “Boat Mass” Summer Series in 2011. His homilies are inspirational and thought provoking. Come and see for yourself by attending Mass at Our Holy Redeemer where coming home is what it’s all about!
Father Nick made many important and necessary improvements to the parish operations, to Our Holy Redeemer Church and to the School building. He was an excellent administrator and a fine Pastor. He was loved and continues to be loved by the parishioners and staff who know him.
A major renovation of the Church took place under this Pastor’s care. Many changes were made in The Music Ministry. OHR’s 1st Website was created. OHR School was closed after decades of faithful service. The Waterfront "Boat" Mass was discontinued. On one memorable occasion Fr Rick actually met Mother Teresa in person. A statue of Mother Teresa and a Memorial to the Unborn were erected on Church property and blessed.
Father Leavy took charge of Our Holy Redeemer Parish after Msgr Mattei left. Father continued supporting the parish’s many ministries, volunteers, Our Holy Redeemer School and the Waterfront “Boat Mass”. Photo left to right: Father Leavy, Mary Blaney, County Executive Tom Gulotta, and Jim Blaney.
10th Father Douglas Arcoleo2008-Present
9th Fr Nicholas J. Figliola2005-2008
8th Fr Rick Figliozzi1993-2005
7th Fr Matthew Leavy1988-1993
Responsible for starting the famous OHR Waterfront "Boat Mass". When the Scalamandre family donated a yacht to OHR Church, Msgr. Mattei arranged to have Mass every summer Sunday on its deck as it floated on Woodcleft Canal on Freeport's Nautical Mile. The boat was sold but this Mass continues to this day with Al Grover and family as its hosts and OHR parishioners supplying the man (and woman) power. Msgr also started the OHR Bazaar and a major renovation of the Church. Photo: Jim Blaney, Bishop McGann, and Msgr. Mattei.
6th Msgr Severio Mattei 1980-1988
Fr Knee was promoted from Associate Pastor under Msgr Crawford to be the 5th Pastor of Our Holy Redeemer Church and Parish. In the photo Ralph G. Caso is shown presenting Fr. Knee with a Citation in recognition of his tireless work for the people of the parish as well as his work for the community.
5th Fr Kenneth Knee1976-1980
It was in 1964, during Msgr. Crawford's pastorship, that the new wings added to Our Holy Redeemer Church were finally completed. OHR School was also expanded and the Doctor’s house behind the Post Office was replaced by a new school yard. From left to right in the photo is Mr. Berkel, Msgr Crawford, and Henry Dengel on the main Altar of Our Holy Redeemer Church.
4th Msgr Eugene Crawford1959-1976
Our Holy Redeemer was blessed to have such a kind and loving Pastor. He led his parishioners with a strong sense of Faith and love of the Lord. After the fire behind the OHR School auditorium, Msgr. Mahon was overwhelmed with support from OHR parishioners, local businesses, Freeport community members, and people of all faiths, in the building of the temporary, 3-room, "Little Red School House". This school house was used for third-graders during renovations and repairs to the permanent school building.
3rd Msgr John J Mahon1935-1959
This Pastor had the OHR Church bell made and installed in the Church tower in 1915. It is still there after all these years. The current OHR School building was built in 1924 while Father O'Toole was the Pastor. He requested that a local council of the Knights of Columbus be established in this parish in order to answer the threat of the Ku Klux Klan. Holy Redeemer K of C Council #1974 was established in July 1919 in answer to Father O'Toole's request.
2nd Rev John L. O’Toole1913-1935
Father Charles was Our Holy Redeemer’s First Pastor. The present, “absolutely beautiful” Our Holy Redeemer Church was built while he was the Pastor.
Our Holy Redeemer Parish has a rich history here in Freeport, Long Island, New York. Part of this history includes the ten very special men that are listed below. This parish has had ten extraordinary pastors that took the Church from it’s earliest days through to the present. These men not only led their congregations of parishioners but also contributed to the development and the welfare of the people of the entire Freeport Community as well. We invite you to read about the ten pastors of Our Holy Redeemer Church and Parish, Freeport, Long Island, New York beginning with the brief summaries posted below.